inflammation side effects

Mold Warning signs

Mold is an extremely small, dangerous element that belongs to the family of fungi. It can thrive on almost any surface especially cellulose-based objects.

Molds are present almost everywhere. Though they maybe harmful at times, molds are a big part of the ecological balance in the environment, as they play a major role in breaking down organic substances. Molds are the original recyclers.

According to some recent studies, approximately 50 percent of homes have unknown moisture problems. And as we all know, molds thrive best in moist places.

images

To a large extent, all indoor mold growth is potentially harmful and should be removed promptly, no matter what types of mold are present or whether they can produce toxins. Awareness and sanitation should be observed to prevent the spread of molds in your home.

Look for these warning signs of mold:

  • A strange odor: Mold has a pungent smell. When it is confined to one area of your home, you may notice an unpleasant odor when you are in that area. Mold can sometimes live within the walls or behind wallpaper, and so you might not immediately associate the smell with mold. If you do notice an unusual persistent odor in your home, the culprit may be mold.
  • The appearance of mold: In your shower stall or bathtub, its easy to distinguish normal soap scum from mold. However, in the basement or cellar you may have to investigate a little further to find the mold. Mold will take hold of damp areas, so if you have a wall or floor where dampness collects, mold could very well be there as well.
  • Health symptoms: Because mold is not always visible, it can be difficult realizing that you do indeed have a mold problem. If you feel listless, congested and experience watering eyes while in your home, these can all be signs of the presence of mold.Its not uncommon for a person who lives in a home that has mold to feel better while at work or out shopping. Their health problems begin the moment they step through their front door. Mold can often be the cause of this.

images (1)It can be difficult to stay in a home where the mold is causing an odor or is visible. You may feel very uncomfortable; however, for most people a small amount of mold will not cause serious health problems. If you do suffer from allergies and find it is causing breathing problems it might be wise to find a temporary place to stay until the mold problem is addressed.

 

If you do think that you may have a mold problem, you’ll need to put on your investigator hat and get to work. Check all moist areas of your home first. If that doesn’t turn up any mold consider calling in a professional.

 

Joslyn. “Mold Warning Signs: How to Tell if You Have a Mold Problem.” Web blog post. Mold Information. Mold Blogger. 25 Mar. 2016

 

Speak Your Mind

*